Sunday, June 3, 2012

2 Weeks + 2 Days

Well, the good news is that the ankle pains seem to be settling down a bit.  I took two advil last night and the burning sensation wasn't nearly as bad.  It was still choppy sleep, but I was able to get back to sleep every time I woke up.  There still a little bit of a stinging sensation in the ankle when I get up and start walking.  It wasn't as bad this time though.  I felt like I could have gotten up on my own, but decided to use the crutches instead.

After the initial stings wore off, I actually felt semi-comfortable walking without my crutches or boot.  I started slowly, and there were some aches and stiffness, but overall it wasn't too bad.  The top of my foot is still pretty numb and the right-side incision is definitely sensitive next to that nerve.  If I even tap around it, I can feel the tingles through the top of the foot.  So best to avoid any significant contact around it.

The skin around the incisions still seems pretty red.  No streaking pattern, so not gonna worry too much about that.

I spent most of the day cleaning and doing more chores.  I figured, now that I feeling semi-decent, I should take advantage while it lasts.  Also, anything to keep my mind off of things.

I at half of last night's leftovers for lunch and then continued my activities.  I also started to work in some physical therapy activities that were given to me back when I first hurt my ankle.  Just the ankle alphabet, calf stretches...that and even tried the elliptical again.  It wasn't too bad.  I could tell when my ankle wasn't quite ready to go on, because the stinging started occurring a little more consistently.  But overall, it was nice to be able to be even more mobile again.

It was pretty decent anxiety-wise most of the day...however the tightness came up again just after dinner around 8:00pm.  I guess it was nice to happen later on in the day?  It kind of stuck for a while...so I decided to try going to bed early at like 11pm.  I woke up only 30 minutes later feeling like I was breathing in, but just not getting enough oxygen or something.  Around the same time, our dog, Kodo, came to the bedroom being all antsy.  This was not good timing, since I was trying to get to sleep and Becky had to get up early the next morning.  Since it looked like sleep wasn't gonna happen for me anyways, I decided to just head downstairs and hang with Kodo for a while.  We were quite the pair....the both of us panting away.

After about an hour, I came back to the bedroom and decided to give sleep a shot again.  Kodo followed suit, though, he was still panting up a storm.  I woke up around 2:30am, and decided to check on him, and he was back to sleeping calm as a cucumber (how calm are cucumbers, really?)

I went back to bed, and slept for another hour and a half...then back to sleep for another 2 (maybe).  It's hard to tell how long I'm actually sleeping...just that it's patchy.  Not a great night.


No comments:

Post a Comment