Thursday, June 7, 2012

2 Weeks + Day 6

Ankle Update
Well, Day 6 was kind of a mixed day.  I got up early and did the elliptical for .25 miles.  Ankle felt really good.  I still have numbness right around where the top of the foot meets my ankle.  It's not too noticeable unless something is touching it.  Then I can feel the pressure, but not really feel the touch itself, if that makes any sense whatsoever.  Again, just refer back to getting a novocaine shot at the dentist, and that's exactly the feel of it.  It's definitely not as annoying as having your mouth numb, though!

One other interesting thing that I was able to pull off this morning, is that I was actually able to run on the treadmill!  The ankle felt a little sore, but the treadmill seems to lessen the shock on it.  I think most of the soreness of running comes with an overstretching of the muscles in the ankle.  The calf actually feels decent, but I feel like I lost a lot of range of motion with the ankle.  So, the treadmill work seems like it'll help (along with all my PT exercises).  I only ran a quarter mile, and set it to 4.3, which is pretty much a 14:00/mile pace.  Not quite where I was...but I'll take it.  I think the cardio is gonna be harder to build than the actual muscle.

Other Issues Update
My stomach/chest was a little tight in the morning.  I'm not sure if working out would make it worse or better, but I figured I'd give it a shot, nonetheless.  It basically didn't do much.  I started work around 7am again, which is crazy early.  I had my doctor's appointment at 9:45 to get whatever this thing is checked out.  Because, Becky was working, my parents yet again picked me up and drove me there.

I explained to the doc all the events that have transpired since the "incident" 10 days post op.   I told her that lately, I'm just feeling tightness in my chest primarily after I eat.  She asked about my history, my parents history and even grandparent's history.  Of course, my parents and grandparents all have some form of heart issues or high blood pressure.  She did the procedural checkup, where I would breathe in and out with her listening through the stethoscope.  Then they did another ECG on me and compared it to the results from when I went into the ER. She found that my mom had to have her gallbladder removed, so she ordered an ultrasound as well as a stress test for me.

The other thing she mentioned that it could be some inflammation in the stomach lining, or acid reflux.  She gave me a course of Prilosec, which is used to inhibit the production of acid in the stomach.  I hadn't eaten anything since the night before, so we went out to eat afterwards.  I just had a plain hamburger from McDonald's and a Hi-C.

This actually turned out to be a mistake.  I got home and instantly felt the tightness in my chest.  I waited 2 hours and then tried to eat some chicken-rice soup that my parents brought me.  My chest just kept getting tighter...I should have stopped, but I was eating such small portions, I didn't think it mattered.  My last attempt at eating was just a single slice of bread with some jam.  I think that was at 3pm.  Then the discomfort really started to kick in.  I couldn't even think about eating anymore the rest of the day.  It was almost unbearable.  I forced myself to take the Tums, as the Prilosec is a slow-releasing preventative medicine.

I went to bed pretty miserable, but managed to make it through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment